History
(0 votes)
Add to favourites

The History of St. Michael’s Church

1934-1945

The source of the early history of St. Michael’s Church comes from James Haffner, Barrington resident and parishioner. Episcopalians attended Sunday worship at St. James Church, Dundee, IL. There was some talk of a church in Barrington but the Depression and WWII prevented this from happening.

 

1945

Barrington Episcopalians met with Bishop Wallace Conkling and received permission to form a parish in Barrington. The name, St. Michael’s, was chosen.

 

1946-1947

With little money, no clergy and no building, the parish was reduced to mission status.

 

 

1948

In September, a Sunday School was formed and began meeting at the Masonic Temple in Barrington. There were 41 children and adults present. A newsletter, ‘The Parish Visitor’, was published.

 

1949

In January, the first Annual Meeting was held at the Masonic Temple. On Easter Day, 193 people attended the service. In December, four lots on the corner of Hillside and Dundee Avenues were purchased for $7,000. On December 10, The Rev. Joseph B. Williams was called to be the Rector of St. Michael’s.

 

1950

With 100 families on the roles, St. Michael’s was returned to parish status. In September, the first rectory was built (just east of the church) with a $6,000 loan from the Bishop (4% interest). The contractor was Stanley Pepper, Sr.

 

1951

Differing views began over the choice of liturgy for Sunday morning worship. Some wanted Morning Prayer as the main service, some wanted the Holy Eucharist. Fr. Williams choose the Eucharist. A church building fund began.

 

1953

In June, three architects’ drawings were submitted to the parish. Plan ‘C’ was chosen. It was the most contemporary of the plans. The architect was St. Michael’s parishioner, Edward Dart. It was his first major assignment. Some people favored the more traditional plan ‘A’.

 

1954

The conflict over the liturgy choice of the Eucharist as main service came to a head at the January parish meeting. The Sr. Warden and six vestry members resigned from the parish, left the meeting, and subsequently formed St. Mark’s, Barrington Hills. In February, the first Rectory was sold to finance the Church building. Construction began in March and completed in October. The corner stone was laid on May 9, and dedication services were held Nov. 27. Dorothy Schuler became organist (1954-56).

 

1955

St. Michael’s was given the Bard Memorial Bells, which were dedicated on December 10.

 

1956

The first Altar Guild was formed. James White became organist (1956-58).

 

1957

Fr. Williams became ill and left St. Michael’s in January 1958.

 

1958

In January, Fr. Williams left because of illness. From January to June, the Rev. Donald B. Brieland, a member of the parish, was Priest-in-Charge of St. Michael’s. Thomas Michaelsen became organist (1958-67). In June, The Rev. Donald B. Duncan from West Virginia was called as second rector. A house on Prairie Ave. was rented for the Duncan family.

 

1959

In March, ground was broken for a rectory on Hillside Ave. The sacristy was finished. In July, the first Vacation Bible School was held.

 

1960

Nave was widened. The north and south pews were added.

 

1961

The stained glass windows were designed and installed. Most were given as memorials.

 

1962

St. Michael’s was paid for, and therefore, consecrated on April 29 by Bsp. Burrill. After the ceremony, the Bsp. broke ground for the Parish Hall to the south and for the one story office wing to the north. In September, Fr. Duncan was called to a parish in New Jersey. High altar moved outward away from east wall. In October, The Rev. Robert Gerhard was called from Three Rivers, MI. The weekly newsletter, The Sword, was begun.

 

1963

The Commission system was begun. St. Michael’s received the Architecture Citation of Merit.

 

1964

A two year Confirmation program began. Long range planning began. Four classrooms were added to the Undercroft. These were needed for the increased church school attendance. Three Sunday morning services became necessary (8, 9:30, & 11); church school at 9:30.

 

1965

The Rev. Charles Bennett became St. Michael’s first curate. He was also an assistant rector. In February, a house was rented for the Bennett family on Skyline Dr.

 

1966

Renovation of Sanctuary began. The high altar was pulled away from the east wall and a side altar was added. Edward Dart was in charge of these changes. The Diocese of Chicago canons were changed to permit women to serve on vestries.

 

1967

A house, 120 Monument Avenue, was purchased for the curate. Lay persons were licensed to administer the chalice at Communion. Sanctuary and side altar completed and consecrated on

April 30. Fr. Bennett left in May. The Rev. John Corn became curate in September. William Pacini became organist (1967-72).

 

1968

Use of the trial liturgy authorized by Bsp. Burrill (started in Nov. 1967) continued until April. Not well received. West end expansion of nave begun to accommodate the new organ ordered for 1969. Curate, Fr. Corn, resigned in June, leaving many debts. The Rev. Robert Woodbury became curate in July. Fr. Gerhard resigned in October to go to a parish in Ohio.

 

1969

In January, The Rev. Menter B. Terrill from McKinney, TX. became Rector. West end expansion of Nave continues. ECW Art Festival in September did not go well and the ECW president resigned with several board members leaving also. Mrs. Jean Capulli, a parishioner, agreed to be president pro-tem. Controversy in the National Church occurred with a special General Convention being held in South Bend, IN. Racism and treatment of black Episcopalians was the issue.

 

1970

Curate, Fr. Woodbury left in May and The Rev. Richard Bradford became curate in June. His family moved to 120 Monument. He was ordained to the priesthood in December at the Cathedral of St. James, Chicago. West end expansion of Nave completed with new choir area added and new entrance (Narthex). The new organ arrived from Germany in September. The first organ recital was in December.

 

1971

The Monument Avenue property was sold in May for financial reasons. James W. Montgomery was installed as Bishop of Chicago. The new liturgy, Rite II, began trial use.

 

1972

In May, organist William Pacini (hired 1965) left and Jerry Davidson became organist (1972-79). Parish Life groups were formed and evangelism was stressed. Money became a problem. The icon “Archangel Michael” donated. House/Church gatherings for stewardship held.

 

1973

In January, money matters were discussed at the Annual Meeting. The ancient rite of the Easter Vigil was restored to Holy Week. A Saturday night Eucharist was begun. In April, plans for St. Michael’s 25th anniversary began. Plans for a courtyard columbarium were discussed. In September, a 25th anniversary celebration was held. All former rectors were present except Fr. Williams. Fr. Terrill became ill.

 

2017 columbarium

 

1974

Fr. Terrill died January 2. Fr. Richard Bradford became priest-in-charge. The Rev. William Allen became assisting priest. Lenten mission conducted by the Rev. Robert Terwilliger. In April, a search committee formed. In June, The Rev. William D. McLean was called from the Church of the Mediator, Chicago, to become rector. Fr. Bradford’s last Sunday was July 28. The rectory was remodeled (the above ground pool was removed). A fund raising auction was held at the Pepper’s in June. Fr. McLean was instituted as Rector on St. Michael’s Day, September 29.

 

1975

In January, The Rev. William McCarthy, Nashota House Seminary, became curate. In July, architect Edward Dart died at the age of 53.

 

1976

The proposed Book of Common Prayer was discussed during Lent. In July, the United States Bicentennial was celebrated. The Memorial Room was renovated and the Columbarium, which was created in 1975, were both dedicated in November.

 

1977

In July, a capital funds drive was successfully completed. Roof and building repairs needed, plus office equipment and furnishings. In September, Fr. McCarthy left. In November, the harpsichord was given as a memorial.

 

1978

In January, The Rev. Tyler Strand, Nashota House Seminary, became curate. He was ordained to the priesthood in April. Parish Life groups were formed in the area. Plans began for additional classroom and office space. Allan Sisson, deacon, drowned in May.

 

1979

Budget restrictions were necessary in early 1979. Plans for building additions completed and money raised (for east room, new nursery, choir room, rectors office, clergy washroom). In June, ground breaking for new addition. In October, addition completed. Lloyd Davis became organist (1979-84). First of many dinner dances held.

 

1980

In January, use of the 1979 BCP became official. In May, storage fence and shed built. In June, fund raising auction.

 

1981

In January, Fr. Strand left. In July, a gift was given to Fr. McLean in appreciation for his long service without a curate. In August, The Rev. Craig MacColl became curate and was ordained at St. Michael’s in December.

 

1982

St. Michael’s window brochure was produced. Capital funds drive to pay off remaining building costs.

 

1983

In February, rectory roof and air conditioner replaced. In July, curate Craig MacColl left and The Rev. John L. McCausland became curate. In October, surprise party for McLean’s to acknowledge (almost) 10 years at St. Michael’s.

 

1984

In April, organist Lloyd Davis died suddenly. In May, Robert Lind became organist (1984-87). In September, Fr. McLean was nominated for Bishop of Chicago. In October, Fr. McLean lost the vote for Bishop. In December, John McCausland resigned as curate to become rector of the church in St. Charles, IL.

 

1985

In February, memorial concert was held for Lloyd Davis. In April, The Rev. Donald L. Turner became curate. In June, repairs to the church roof were completed. In October, Frank T. Griswold became Bishop of Chicago.

 

1986

In February, Fr. McLean accepted a call as rector to St. Boniface, Sarasota, FL. In March, a search committee was formed. Trial use of Rite II was begun but not adopted. Fr. McLean’s last Sunday was April 13. At a reception for the McLean’s, all mortgages were burned and St. Michael’s became debt free. Fr. Turner became priest-in-charge. The rectory was rented. In August, a search committee recommended The Rev. Donald Castle of Lombard, IL to be rector. Three vestry members objected and wanted to do the interviewing. Several committee members resigned. After further interviews, the vestry called the #3 candidate, The Rev. Howard Keyse of Elkart, IN to be rector, to begin January 1987. Between October and December, Fr. Keyse indicated by letter and conversations that he would be changing many things at St. Michael’s, to bring it more in line with changes in the National Church, including the use of Rite II liturgy. This caused great concern among parishioners.

 

1987

In January, The Rev Howard Keyse became rector. He instituted changes in Sunday service schedule, liturgy and the time of church school. Women were encouraged to be acolytes. Many parishioners left St. Michael’s. In February, Fr. Turner left to become vicar of Trinity Church, River Falls, WI. In July, The Rev. William Blackerby became curate. In July, organist Robert Lind was asked to resign. David Lincoln, recent graduate of Valparaiso University, became organist (1987-95). In September, Fr. McLean was asked to return and preach about St. Michael’s ‘problems.’ Harriet Claiborne becomes church school director (1987-2006).

 

1988

In January, at the Annual Meeting there was a confrontation between parishioners and Fr. Keyse, causing the Sr. Warden to take over the meeting. Consultation with Bsp. Griswold followed, in the ensuing months, and on June 27, Fr. Keyse resigned. Fr. Blackerby left to go back to Alabama. In September, The Rev. George Karney becomes interim rector.

 

1989

Under Fr. Karney’s guidance, a relative calm returned to St. Michael’s. A new search committee was formed and a brochure was prepared for prospective candidates.

 

1990

In January, The Rev. Alvin C. Johnson was called to be rector. In March, much needed repairs to the rectory were completed. May 13 was Fr. Karney’s last Sunday. Fr. Johnson’s first Sunday was May 20. Fr. Johnson’s service of institution was September 22.

 

1991

In February, church kitchen remodeled. In May, a vestry retreat was held. Girl acolytes and women chalice bearers were added. The Rev. Scott Hunter from North Carolina was called to be an associate priest on December 9 for a minimum of three years. The Very Rev. Robert Orpen became part-time assistant. Annual mission trips began. First year we entered a float in the July 4th Barrington parade along with the ‘Marching Miters.’

 

1992-1995

Attendance increased. A 5:30 pm Saturday Eucharist was added; three Sunday services added, church school with a 9:00 am Eucharist. Two houses were added to the existing properties through the generosity of two parish families. David Whitehouse became organist (1995-99).

 

1998

Covenant of Partnership with Renk in Sudan signed. The Rev. Mary Hansley was called to be an associate priest. Deacon Rich Towers joined the staff as our first youth pastor. Little Angels Christian Preschool opened.

 

1998-99

A year long celebration for St. Michael’s 50th anniversary. Capital Stewardship campaign, The Main Thing, kicked off a $3.2 million goal.

 

1999

Marjorie Johnston became organist (1999-2007). An adult mission trip to South Dakota took place.

 

2001

March 4 was the ground breaking for major expansion project.

 

2002

Kevin Kasper began as youth pastor on January 1. In April, the cornerstone was laid outside Community Room doors.

 

2003

The Rev. Judith C. Heinrich, parishioner, ordained deacon, February 1. The Rev. Dr. Mark A. McIntosh, parishioner, serves as assisting priest. Fr. McIntosh named Canon Theologian to the Presiding Bishop.

 

2006

Mission trip to Renk in Sudan with Fr. Johnson, Jackie Kraus, Laurie Michaels. On February 19, the first partnership celebration with Redeemer Church, Elgin was held.

 

2007

Fr. Johnson nominated for Bishop of Chicago. In November, Fr. Johnson lost vote for Bishop. On September 30, Marjorie Johnston resigns as organist. The Rt. Rev. Bsp. Jeffrey Lee instituted Bsp. of Chicago. November 10, Curate Martha Gillette started.

 

2008

Kevin Kasper resigned on July 31.

 

2009

In November, Fr. Johnson announces his resignation. Ted Grueser begins as youth pastor on June 9.

 

2010

The Rev. Laurie Michaels, parishioner, ordained deacon, February 6. In October, The Rev. Patrick Raymond was called to be St. Michael’s Rector. December 31 was Fr. Johnson’s last service. On October 10, Barbara Wischmeier begins as interim organist.

 

2011

On February 20, Fr. Patrick Raymond’s first Sunday as Rector. On June 19, Ted Grueser, youth pastor, left. On June 30, Curate Martha Gillette left. The Rev. Kevin Caruso started as Curate on July 11. On August 1, David Baker begins as Director of Music Ministries, and, Kara Joy Baker begins as youth pastor. On November 16, The Rev. Judith Heinrich retires as Deacon at St. Michael’s.

 

2013

in June, The Rev. Kevin Caruso becomes Associate Rector. On August 26, the vestry moved and approved the blessing of same-gender relationships at St. Michael’s.

 

2014

On October 5, was The Rev. Kevin Caruso’s last service. He answered the call to be rector of Trinity Church, Wheaton. In May, Caren Hunter resigns as Director of Little Angels Preschool. In July, Nate Nesbit begins as youth pastor. Kara Baker begins as Little Angels Preschool Director. Josh Baudin begins as Coordinator of Children’s Ministries. Baudin resigns six months later.

 

2015

In May, “The Main Thing” mortgage paid off. On July 12, The Rev. Patrick Raymond resigns. On August 30, David Baker (Director of Music) and Kara Baker (preschool director) resign. In August, Julie Allord begins as Family Ministry Coordinator. On September 6, The Rev. Jack Fleming begins as Interim Rector. On September 20, the parish moved from three services on Sunday to two services at 8:00 & 10:00 am. On October 1, Caren Hunter returns as Director of Little Angels Preschool.

 

2016

On August 31, The Rev. Jack Fleming celebrated his last service. On Sept. 11, The Rev.  Jesse Perkins begins as 9th Rector of St. Michael’s.

 

2017

On June 16, The Rev. Lisa Erdeljon begins as Curate.  On August 20, Nate Nesbit left his position as youth pastor.  In August, the Sturtz House received remodeling of the kitchen, floors, restrooms, additional ADA compliant accessibilities.


SundayWorship
8:00 AM - Rite I   &   10:00 AM - Rite II   Click for directions
Church Website Login
This is the STAFF LOGIN area. If you have no website account, click the Pencil Icon link above to create one. Then, confirm your account through email. One of our admins will then confirm who you are and approve the account.